Alpha Step Awards13/11/2015 All Awards
The Alpha Step Awards have been designed to build the confidence of children who may need additional support.
Providing small stepping stones for developing confidence, these three Awards should be considered if your child is shy/timid or has disabilities.
The Alpha Step Awards reward the development of the early stages of buoyancy, coordination, spatial awareness, breathing, and entering and leaving the pool.
The basic water skills and confidence gained through the Alpha Step Awards enable a smooth transition for your child to Learn to Swim Stage 1 Award of the Swim England Learn to Swim Framework.
Achievements of the Alpha Step Awards
By the end of each Award your child will have developed the following skills:
- Enter the water safely with equipment or support.
- Enter the water safely with minimal support.
- Enter the water safely with no assistance or support.
- Blow to move a floating object over 3 metres.
- Tolerate face being (splashed) wet.
- With mouth submerged, blow bubbles.
- On the spot move selected object around.
- Whilst travelling, move objects in or through the water.
- Move objects to or from a partner in various directions.
- Be rocked through the water with support.
- Turn 360 degrees with minimal assistance.
- Lie back and move to a vertical position with support.
- Float with support.
- Float on front with support.
- Float on back with support.
- Be towed (forwards, backwards and sideways) in a variety of directions.
- Travel through the water using limbs with minimal support.
- Travel 3 metres on front with or without floatation equipment.
- Travel 3 metres on back with or without floatation equipment.
- Exit the water safely with equipment or support.
- Exit the water safely with minimal support.
- Exit the water safely with no assistance or support.