Synchro youngsters chosen for Age Group and Development squadsDecember 20, 2018
Twenty-one young synchronised swimmers have been selected for the Swim England Age Group and Development squads.
They were chosen from previous results and recent trials held after the Swim England Synchronised Swimming National Age Group Championships in Gloucester.
Karen Thorpe, Swim England synchro manager, said that the performances of the athletes attending the trials was improving every year making selection extremely tough.
Swimmers from clubs in Bristol, Leeds, Reading, Rugby, Salford, Stockport and Walsall have been chosen for the squads.
They will continue to work with their clubs but also attend compulsory training days at a mixture of camps and weekends as well as competing on the international stage.
Karen said: “I was really impressed with the standard of the athletes.
“Year on year, the results get better, making it consistently more competitive to achieve a place in the squad.
“The Age Group Squad will compete at the very first 13-15 Years FINA World Championships in Slovakia in August 2019. We are anticipating many nations to take part in this inaugural competition.
“It will be an extremely high level and a huge challenge for us.
“Europe is such a strong synchro continent and this competition is much-needed for the age group. It will be an exciting opportunity for our young athletes.
“The coaching team are ready to ensure the athletes prepare well and can compete at the best level possible.
“And the recent announcement for UK Sport to support synchro towards the 2020 Olympics should inspire the youngsters within the talent programme.”
Athletes chosen for Swim England Synchronised Swimming Talent programme
- Olivia Baker (Walsall Synchronised Swimming Club)
- Eleanor Blinkhorn (Reading Royals)
- Maddy Brown (Reading Royals)
- Tilly Budd (City of Leeds)
- Beatrice Crass (Reading Royals)
- Zoe Dimond (City of Bristol)
- Robyn Swatman (Walsall Synchronised Swimming Club)
- Libby Taylor (City of Salford)
- Alexandra Thickett (Reading Royals)
- Lilly Todd (City of Bristol)
- Evie Walker (Stockport Metro)
- Laurel Allen (City of Bristol)
- Taliah Alves (Walsall Synchronised Swimming Club)
- Georgia Baker (Walsall Synchronised Swimming Club)
- Cienna Bhatti (City of Salford)
- Lily Halasi (Aquavision)
- Emma Laycock (City of Leeds)
- Georgia Lindsay (Rugby)
- Carla Pietrafesa (Aquavision)
- Abbey Willcox (City of Bristol)
- Rhiannon Woodhouse (City of Salford)