Alpha Step Awards13/11/2015 All Awards
The Alpha Step Awards are designed to build confidence in those who may need additional support during their swimming lessons.
They are particularly relevant for a shy/timid child, a nervous adult and some individuals with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
The Alpha Step Awards reward the development of the early stages of buoyancy, coordination, spatial awareness, breathing, and entering and leaving the pool safely.
The basic water skills and confidence gained through these Awards enable a smooth transition to Learn to Swim Stage 1 Award of the Swim England Learn to Swim Framework.
Achievements of the Alpha Step Awards
There are three Alpha Step Awards in total, covering the following skills:
- Enter the water safely with equipment or support.
- Enter the water safely with minimal support.
- Enter the water safely with no assistance or support.
- Blow to move a floating object over 3 metres.
- Tolerate face being (splashed) wet.
- With mouth submerged, blow bubbles.
- On the spot move selected object around.
- Whilst travelling, move objects in or through the water.
- Move objects to or from a partner in various directions.
- Be rocked through the water with support.
- Turn 360 degrees with minimal assistance.
- Lie back and move to a vertical position with support.
- Float with support.
- Float on front with support.
- Float on back with support.
- Be towed (forwards, backwards and sideways) in a variety of directions.
- Travel through the water using limbs with minimal support.
- Travel 3 metres on front with or without floatation equipment.
- Travel 3 metres on back with or without floatation equipment.
- Exit the water safely with equipment or support.
- Exit the water safely with minimal support.
- Exit the water safely with no assistance or support.
How to achieve Alpha Step Awards
The number of skills needed to achieve each Award are as follows:
Alpha Step 1
Six out of 22 skills (maximum of one skill from each section).
Alpha Step 2
12 out of 22 skills (maximum of two skills are to be gained from each section).
Alpha Step 3
17 out of 22 skills (one skill must be gained from all sections).