Are Goggles Allowed In Lessons?
Confused over whether your child can wear goggles in swimming lessons? Then let us clear it up for you.
Swimming is a vital skill for children to learn for health and enjoyment reasons, and also because it could one day save their life.
Children need to learn to swim without goggles unless they have a medical condition or other associated problem. It could save their life.
While swimming goggles may make a child feel comfortable in the pool while they are learning to swim, if they accidentally end up in water it is unlikely they will be wearing them.
It’s vital children are comfortable swimming with or without goggles so they don't panic in an unexpected situation. To do this they need to learn to swim without goggles.
During swimming lessons
- The decision to allow swimming goggles during lessons is down to the individual teacher, so speak to yours.
- Parents need to be informed of the reasons to not wear goggles and children encouraged to take lessons without them.
- Some teachers say that goggles can help to reduce or prevent eye irritation. However, if pool water is maintained in a good condition it shouldn't be necessary for children to wear goggles at all.
My child has to wear goggles
For medical and other associated reasons some children need to wear goggles - such as prescription googles. If this is then case then
- Choose a pair with BSI instructions on the packaging for the correct way to put on and take off goggles.
- Choose a pair that fit properly. Leaking goggles could affect the child and waste lesson time.
- Ensure your child knows how to fit and adjust goggles properly.
- NOTE: teachers will not be responsible for fitting children's goggles.