Figure Grade 1January 9, 2018
The Swim England Artistic Swimming Figure Grade 1 focuses on positions and basic positions in artistic swimming.
Swimmers will be required to perform 10 elements to judges. Each grade has three levels (gold, silver and bronze) so all athletes have the ability to perfect their figures before moving to the next grade.
To view full descriptions of artistic swimming basic positions (BP), basic movements (BM) and figures (Fig), download the FINA Figures and Required Elements document on the right of this page.
10 Elements to Artistic Swimming Figure Grade 1
- Stationary back layout held for five seconds (BP 1).
- Front layout (BP 2) to front pike position (BP 10).
- Back layout (BP 1) to surface and position (BP 4).
- Hanging vertical (BP 6 ).
- Back layout to bent knee position returning to back layout (BP14b).
- Inverted split position.
- Back layout to back pike position (BP 11).
- Back tuck somersault (Fig 310 – DD 1.1).
- Fishtail position (BP 8).
- Split position on land – right leg and left leg. Both legs must be attempted.
Click here to download a judging guide for the England Artistic Swimming Figure Grade 1 where you can read more details about each element.
Artistic Swimming Figure Grade 1 Video Demonstrations
Watch the clips below for video demonstrations of each of the 10 elements for Figure Grade 1.
- Extension must be evident throughout.
- Toes and feet must be pointed.
- Effective and smooth sculling.
- All figures should be stable and controlled.
Swimmers should remember these four mandatory requirements in all elements.