What do the different insurance types mean and what do you need?

The world of insurance can be confusing, especially if you are new to the sector. As a teacher, you are providing a specialised service and could be held responsible for an injury to another person.

In circumstances like these, it is essential that you have appropriate insurance protection. Without insurance, you will need to defend yourself, putting your personal wealth at risk.

But what do the different insurance types mean and what do you need?

Public Liability insurance

Even with the most careful planning and preparation, a number of things can go wrong. Public Liability insurance protects you against unexpected accidents that can occur before, during and after sessions.

For example, if you were teaching one of your swimmers and they hit their head on the edge of the pool, you could be held accountable and face a costly compensation claim depending on the severity of the injury.

Professional Indemnity insurance

If you give advice to your participants, you should have Professional Indemnity insurance. This protects you if someone suffers an injury as a result of advice you have given them and claims against you for their injuries.

For example, if you gave advice to parents about how they can support their child’s swimming and something goes wrong, they may hold you responsible.

Personal Accident and Loss of Income insurance

You can also suffer injuries. These injuries could be a significant financial burden. Personal Accident insurance covers different types of injuries, whether you suffer minor injuries which require physio, or more severe injuries.

Loss of Income insurance covers you if your regular pool closes due to an unexpected event, like a fire.

Employers’ Liability insurance

If you employ members of staff or volunteers, then by law you need to have Employers’ Liability insurance.

If one of your teachers was injured while working for you, they could hold you responsible, whether the incident took place on or off-site.

So which insurance do you need?

Here is a quick guide to help you figure out what you need for your current situation:

Swimming Teacher Insurance which one is right for you.


Our insurance package

Institute of Swimming Membership includes £20 million worth of Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance cover. Personal Accident cover and Loss of Income cover. Find out more about Institute of Swimming Membership.

Employers Liability insurance is not covered by Institute of Swimming Membership but Swim England can support you with business insurance through Howden.
Contact Howden: 0121 698 8160

Swim England affiliated swim schools receive a discount on the liability insurance provided by Howden. Find out more about Swim School Membership.