Olympic hopefuls and European medallists on British Diving World Class ProgrammeNovember 13, 2019
A group of 22 English divers been named on the British Diving World Class Programme for the 2019/20 season, in a significant boost heading into an Olympic year.
British Swimming have placed eight divers on the Podium Programme, with Eden Cheng, Tom Daley, Daniel Goodfellow, Jack Laugher, Matty Lee, Grace Reid, Katherine Torrance and Lois Toulson all expected to challenge for medals at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
In addition, 15 English athletes are on the Podium Potential Programme, including Commonwealth Games medallist James Heatly and European medallists Phoebe Banks, Emily Martin, Matthew Dixon, Noah Williams, Eden Cheng, Anthony Harding and Jordan Houlden.
British divers won six medals at the LEN European Diving Championships in August, showcasing the depth of diving in the country.
A total of 25 athletes will receive financial assistance from UK Sport, as well as training and competition opportunities over the next year.
They will be supported by British Diving’s performance staff as they compete on the domestic and international stages.
British Diving National Performance Director, Alexei Evangulov, said: “This year, the British Diving team participated in 11 senior and three junior events, each marked by great performances shown individually and as a team.
“British divers brought home medals from every single competition, which shows that the quality of diving in this country has risen and I’m absolutely delighted by the strength and depth of divers selected onto the programme as we go into the most important year of the quadrennial – the Olympic year.
“These performances have created a brilliant platform on which to build forward through 2020, as we ensure the support of our athletes’ needs is in place to retain Great Britain’s standing as one of the top diving nations in the world.”olympics
British Diving World Class Programme 2019-20
- Eden Cheng (England) – Crystal Palace Diving
- Tom Daley (England) – Dive London
- Daniel Goodfellow (England) – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Jack Laugher (England) – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Matty Lee (England) – Dive London
- Grace Reid (Scotland) – Dive London
- Katherine Torrance (England) – City of Leeds
- Lois Toulson (England) – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Phoebe Banks (England) City of Leeds
- Desharne Bent-Ashmeil (England) Crystal Palace
- Robyn Birch (England) Dive London
- Ben Cutmore (England) Dive London
- Matthew Dixon (England) Plymouth Diving Club
- Anthony Harding (England) Leeds Diving
- Yasmin Harper (England) City of Sheffield Diving Club
- Ross Haslam (England) City of Sheffield Diving Club
- James Heatly (Scotland) Edinburgh Diving Club
- Jordan Houlden (England) Sheffield Diving
- Emily Martin (England) Plymouth Diving Club
- Scarlett Mew Jensen (England) Dive London
- Maria Papworth (England) Dive London
- Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix (England) Crystal Palace
- Lucas Thomson (Scotland) Edinburgh Diving Club
- Noah Williams (England) Dive London
- Josie Zillig (England) Crystal Palace Diving