Team England diving squad for Commonwealth Games confirmedJune 21, 2022
An 18-strong diving squad packed with ‘exciting talent’ has been selected to represent Team England at this summer’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
The squad has a strong mix of youth and experience and is headlined by Olympic medallists Matty Lee, Jack Laugher and Daniel Goodfellow.
The group also features five athletes who have stepped on to a Commonwealth Games podium before – with Laugher, Goodfellow, Lois Toulson, Noah Williams and Matthew Dixon all hoping for further success in Team England colours.
Of the 18 members, ten are set to make their Commonwealth Games debuts this August.
I want to be the one to Bring It Home
Olympic Champion Lee, who won gold alongside Tom Daley in the 10m synchronised platform at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is hoping that he can be the one to ‘Bring it Home’ for Team England.
On his selection he said: “It means an awful lot to be Part of the Pride again.
“I enjoy the Commonwealth Games because it’s something different and it has a special place in my heart because I always wanted to go to a Commonwealth Games.
“I feel like I can do really well, and I think doing it for England, we always want it to ‘come home’, and I want to be the one to ‘Bring It Home’.”
Laugher excited to have home crowd behind him
City of Leeds diver Laugher is making his fourth Commonwealth Games appearance and the five-time gold medallist is looking forward to the event.
Laugher said: “It’s my fourth Commonwealth Games, which is obviously super exciting, especially with it being in Birmingham, in our home country – it’s massive.
“The ambition is to do as best as I can.
“I’ve had a really successful year with three golds at the British Championships and now heading into the World Championships to shake the cobwebs off at a really large event.”
Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix will be making her Commonwealth Games debut in Birmingham and the 17-year old is excited to be a part of the squad.
She said: “I am so honoured to be a part of a team of such incredible athletes.
“I’ve never had an international competition on home soil, so I am super excited to have my parents and brother come to Birmingham to support me.
“I remember watching the Gold Coast and thinking ‘I really want to be a part of that team one day’ – and I am so happy to have the opportunity to compete and make my family and friends proud.”
Fresh and exciting talent
Mark England, Team England’s Chef de Mission, said: “I’m proud to welcome the 18 divers to Team England for the Commonwealth Games.
“The team blends previous medal winners with fresh and exciting talent such as Generation 22 athlete Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix, and I know the Birmingham crowd will be right behind our athletes as they aim to ‘Bring It Home’ this summer.”
Team England topped the diving medal table at the 2018 Gold Coast Games with a total of eight medals – four golds, three silvers and one bronze.
The divers will look to ‘Bring It Home’ at the Sandwell Aquatics Centre from 4 August to 8 August.
Divers selected to represent Team England
- Desharne Bent-Ashmeil – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Robyn Birch – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Eden Cheng – Crystal Palace Diving Club
- Ben Cutmore – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Matthew Dixon – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Daniel Goodfellow – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Anthony Harding – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Yasmin Harper – City of Sheffield Diving Club
- Jordan Houlden – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Kyle Kothari – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Jack Laugher – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Matty Lee – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Emily Martin – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Amy Rollinson – Luton Diving Club
- Evie Smith – Crystal Palace Diving Club
- Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix – Dive London Aquatics Club
- Lois Toulson – City of Leeds Diving Club
- Noah Williams – Dive London Aquatics Club