Recipe: Citrus Fruit SorbetMay 27, 2020
The immune system protects the body against disease and fights off infection. Specialised blood cells are the immune systems greatest weapon!
A strong immune system is key for consistent and beneficial training. While we are being told to stay at home, it’s important you keep on top of your nutrition as it will help to keep your immune system strong. A poor immune system can increase the risk of injury and reduce performance.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together some healthy recipes that you can try making at home!
If you do try any of these recipes, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our recipe for Citrus Fruit Sorbet.
Citrus Fruit Sorbet ingredients to make eight servings
- 300g sugar
- 250ml water
- Pinch of salt
- 330ml fresh orange juice
- 160ml freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- Put a metal or glass bowl in the freezer.
- Add sugar, water and salt to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then cook over a low heat for 4-5 minutes, until it becomes a clear syrup.
- Let syrup cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Mix orange, grapefruit and lemon juice together in bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl with electric whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Pour syrup slowly into eggs while stirring. Then do the same with citrus juice.
- Mix well and transfer the mixture to the prepared bowl, cover and leave in freezer.
- After 3 hours, take bowl out of the freezer, stir the mixture using a whisk and return to freezer. If needed repeat again after 2 hours.
- Ready to serve after 10-12 hours in the freezer.
- Calories (kcal): 170
- Carbs (g): 44
- Protein (g): 1
- Fat(g): 0
Check out more recipes here.