Great Britain’s men won nine golds including five in the 100m Butterfly on the second day of the London 2016 European Masters Swimming Championships.
Yesterday’s gold medallist Chris Dunn and Alex Thurston both landed their second golds in as many days, while Mark Campbell and Grenville Cole were among the other Brits crowned European champion on day two.
Having won 800m Freestyle gold on the opening day, Hatfield’s Dunn added victory in the 70-74 Years 200m Freestyle, clocking 2:25.42 to lower his own British record in the process.
Northampton’s Gregory Bird was the only other British man to win the 200m Free for his age group, touching in 1:55.36 to top the pile in the youngest age group of the competition, the 25-29 Years age group.
There were 200m Freestyle British records for Otter’s Dave Warren (2:01.74) and Barnet Copthall’s Mark Reynolds (2:05.55) as they won silvers in the 45-49 Years and 50-54 Years age groups respectively while Bridgend’s Craig Thomas, Spencer’s Geoff Stokes and Middlesbrough’s Nicholas Parkes also made the podium in the 200m Free.
Thurston lands second gold in 100m Fly
Thurston was one of the five British champions in the men’s 100m Butterfly, having won 200m Individual Medley gold in the 35-39 Years age group on the opening day in London.
The Nottingham Leander swimmer came home in 58.94 to take the touch, while Redditch’s Paul Wilkes clocked 56.98 for the same result in the 30-34 Years age group.
The other butterfly golds came in three of the older age groups. City of Liverpool’s Steven Wall was first home in the 60-64 Years age group in 1:09.56, Otter’s Derek Parr swam a 1:21.35 for victory in the 70-74 Years, then Otter teammate Roger Lloyd-Mostyn lead home a British one-two-three with his 1:36.50 effort in the 75-79 Years age group.
British records for Campbell and Cole
The men’s 50m Breaststroke saw another seven British medals, including golds and British records for both Campbell and Cole.
Peterhead swimmer Campbell sprinted to 28.62 in the 25-29 Years age group for his first gold of the Championships while Academy Swim Team’s Cole beat his own British marker with a 58.56 swim in the 85-89 Years age group.
City of Southampton’s Chris Jones and Guildford’s Mike Hodgson won silvers in the 35-39 Years and 45-49 Years age groups while Guildford’s David Bryant and Hackney’s Christopher Kaethner clocked British records for bronze medals in the 55-50 Years and 60-64 Years age groups respectively.
Two of the British men’s quartets reached the podium in the 4x50m Freestyle Relay. City of Cambridge won silver in the 100-119 Years age group in 1:39.71 while Spencer’s team of Roger Burrell, Nigel Salsbury, Barney Miller and Stokes won silver in the 320-359 Years age group with a British record 3:00.13.
British men’s medals at London 2016: Day Two
- Gregory Bird (Northampton) – 25-29 Years 200m Freestyle – 1:55.36
- Mark Campbell (Peterhead) – 25-29 Years 50m Breaststroke – 28.62 BR
- Paul Wilkes (Redditch) – 30-34 Years 100m Butterfly – 56.98
- Alex Thurston (Nottingham Leander) – 35-39 Years 100m Butterfly – 58.94
- Steven Wall (City of Liverpool) – 60-64 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:09.56
- Chris Dunn (Hatfield) – 70-74 Years 200m Freestyle – 2:25.42 BR
- Derk Parr (Otter) – 70-74 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:21.35
- Roger Lloyd-Mostyn (Otter) – 75-79 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:36.50
- Grenville Cole (Academy Swim Team) – 85-89 Years 50m Breaststroke – 58.56 BR
- Craig Thomas (Bridgend County) – 25-29 Years 200m Freestyle – 1:56.53
- Ivan Nechunaev (Spencer) – 25-29 Years 100m Butterfly – 56.06
- Chris Jones (City of Southampton) – 35-39 Years 50m Breaststroke – 30.09
- Dave Warren (Otter) – 45-49 Years 200m Freestyle – 2:01.74 BR
- Mike Hodgson (Guildford City) – 45-49 Years 50m Breaststroke – 30.48
- Mark Reynolds (Barnet Copthall) – 50-54 Years 200m Freestyle – 2:05.55 BR
- Graham Powell (Team Luton) – 60-64 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:10.70
- Geoff Stokes (Spencer) – 75-79 Years 200m Freestyle – 2:59.55
- David Cumming (Eastbourne) – 75-79 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:39.80
- City of Cambridge – 100-119 Years 4x50m Freestyle – 1:39.71
- Spencer Swim Team – 320-359 Years 4x50m Freestyle – 3:00.13 BR
- Nicholas Parkes (Middlesbrough) – 55-59 Years 200m Freestyle – 2:16.86
- Daryl Mason (Potters Bar) – 45-49 Years 50m Breaststroke – 31.82
- David Bryant (Guildford City) – 55-59 Years 50m Breaststroke – 32.82 BR
- Christopher Kaethner (Hackey) – 60-64 Years 50m Breaststroke – 35.54 BR
- John Wood (BSCSC) – 30-34 Years 100m Butterfly – 58.62
- Garfield Thomas (Bridgend County) – 75-79 Years 100m Butterfly – 1:54.90