Club ChairApril 1, 2019
The club chair is the principal officer for the club and is elected by the club members.
Who we are looking for?
- You will have a passion for sport with a good knowledge of sports clubs, aquatics or leading an organisation.
- You will demonstrate strong leadership skills and experience in leading a group of like-minded individuals for a common purpose.
- You will be approachable, diplomatic and helpful.
- Have the ability to maintain harmony in the club.
What do we and the club expect from a club chairperson?
- To provide direction and leadership to the club, dealing with issues as and when they arise.
- To chair meetings; setting the agenda to support the development of the club.
- To oversee decisions made by the management, sub committees, officers and other club personnel.
- To prepare and present the annual report in conjunction with the Secretary (if necessary).
- To help ensure the correct and smooth running of all aspects of the club in accordance with its rules, constitution and by-laws and also Swim England law and UK law.
Level of commitment required
This will vary from club to club, but will include attendance at club meetings and could include attendance at meetings with the Local Authority, pool operators, Swim England and County Sports Partnership staff.
There may be other time commitments in addition to this in order to fulfil the above criteria.
What support can you expect from Swim England?
- Access to resources and guidance via the ‘Club Hub’.
- Direct contact with and support from the Swim England Club Development Officers
- Direct contact with and support from the Swim England Volunteering Team.
- Access and support from other Swim England teams as required by your club, including (but not limited to); membership, Institute of Swimming, England Talent teams, and discipline-specific Development Officers.
What will you gain from the experience?
This is a pivotal and highly rewarding role which success and impact on the club will be determined by your own ambitions and enthusiasms.
As well as your ability to guide and engage others, it is an opportunity to take on a new challenge and influence the future direction of your club.