Four 1500m Freestyle records broken in Session 1October 27, 2017 Masters News
David Hembrow of Littledown Masters was the first swimmer to break a European record in Session 1 of the Swim England Masters National Championships 2017.
Competing in the 1500m Freestyle, Hembrow was well ahead of the field in his 70-74yrs age group. He managed to put over a minute between himself and Maidenhead’s Duncan McCreadie to take the gold medal.
Henbrow touched in 21:40.00 to slice over 13 seconds off the previous record which was set by Warrington Masters’ Graham Padgett in February of this year.
McCreadie took second place with 22:49.66 and Royal Navy swimmer Peter Stephens followed up with a 25:57.00 effort for third.
British records for Denny, Banfield and Muir-Cochrane
Although Hembrow was the only swimmer to break an international record, David Denny and Nuala Muir-Cochrane both set domestic records in their respective age groups of the 1500m Free.
Denny, who swims for City of Oxford, broke the 40-44yrs 1500m British record in Heat 10. His time of 16:37.34 was almost 10 seconds faster than the previous time, which stood at 16:46.89. He was also almost a minute faster than second place in his age group to claim gold.
Silver went to Ian Wimpenny of Hoddesden who touched in 17:35.24. Bronze was claimed by Rochford’s Lee North who touched in 18:27.10.
Guernsey’s Michael Banfield was the only competitor in the 85-89yrs age group, but took down the British record with a 32:49.92 effort.
Banfield took down Edward Hoy’s old record of 33:24.43 from four years ago.
Muir-Cochrane was the only female competitor to claim a record in the opening session. The Camden Swiss Cottage swimmer lowered the 50-55yrs British record by a whopping 21 seconds. She touched in 19:25.63 to duck under the previous marker of 19:46.94.
Silver City’s June Falconer was second to make the touch in the age group, taking a silver medal with 20:24.38. Bronze went to Lisa Withers of Team Anglia for her 23:09.28 effort.
- Click here to view full results from Session 1 of the Swim England Masters National Championships 2017
Other gold medallists from Session 1
Men’s 1500m Freestyle
- Ryan Griffiths of Epsom District (18-24yrs) – 16:26.32
- Daniel John of Totnes (30-34yrs) – 16:52.96
- Pip Bennett of Bristol Henleaze (35-39yrs) – 18:22.47
- Elliott Myers of Fleetwood (45-49yrs) – 19:07.84
- Gregory Whyte of Wycombe District (50-54yrs) – 18:33.11
- Mark Jones of Warrington Masters (55-59yrs) – 19:05.02
- Iain Gerrard of Reading (60-64yrs) – 20:10.38
- Peter Gruitt of Sevenoaks (65-69yrs) – 23:28.57
- Michael Read of Brighton (75-79yrs) – 26.55.63
Women’s 1500m Freestyle
- Alice Theobald of Team Anglia (18-24yrs) – 21:16.98
- Katie Walker-Stabeler of Birmingham Masters (25-29yrs) – 18:27.07
- Hayley Davis of Otter (30-34yrs) – 18:44.07
- Emma Wills of York City (35-39yrs) – 17:46.05
- Jessica Wooddisse of Sub 160 (40-44yrs) – 18:36.87
- Kathryn Thomas of Trafford Metro (45-49yrs) – 19:52.23
- Frances Baker of Spencer (55-59yrs) – 21:53.09
- Audrey Cooper of Silver City (60-64yrs) – 21:01.54
- Sandra Vincent of Black Lion (65-69yrs) – 25:27.13
- Rose Dudeney of Mid Sussex Marlins (70-74yrs) – 25:59.21
- Jenny Ball of Camphill Edwardians (75-79yrs) – 31.32.88