British women finish sixth at 2017 European JuniorsAugust 28, 2017
Great Britain’s 2017 European Junior Water Polo Championship campaign came to an end with defeat to Italy in Novi Sad, Serbia.
Competing in their seventh match of the tournament, Nick Hume’s side lost out 16-5 (4-1, 5-2, 3-2, 4-0) to the Italians.
The result means the British women finish sixth overall at the U17 Championships in Serbia – a jump of three places from last year’s U19 event in the Netherlands.
Italy have long been one of the top six women’s water polo nations in Europe, and started the stronger of the two teams, scoring the first two goals of the game.
Katy Cutler scores in opening two quarters
Katy Cutler grabbed one back for the Brits in the first quarter but the Italians added another two before the first interval.
Cutler scored a penalty in the second, while Lily Turner also found the net for GB, but another five Italian goals left them six clear, leading 9-3 at half-time.
The British girls enjoyed their best quarter of the game in the third. Turner and Emily Pyper both scored on man-up for the Brits.
Another three Italian goals kept momentum on their side and they completed the victory with a 4-0 shut out in the last.
- Click here to view full results from the European Junior Water Polo Championships 2017.
British team at the 2017 European Junior Water Polo Championships
- Sophie Jackson (City of Leeds)
- Annie Clapperton (City of Manchester)
- Emily Pyper (Woolton SC)
- Lily Turner (Crawley SC)
- Steph Whittaker (City of Manchester)
- Molly Boniface-Ashton (City of Liverpool)
- Katy Cutler (Salisbury Stingrays ASC)
- Amy Potter (City of Bristol SC)
- Emmie-Rose Eastwood (City of Manchester)
- Robyn Greenslade (Paignton SC)
- Lauren Dundee (Stirling)
- Milly Wordley (Exeter Water Polo)
- Niamh Campbell-O’Donnell (City of Manchester)