Recipe: Citrus and fig energy ballsFebruary 27, 2022
This recipe is full of calcium, which plays a vital role within our bodies for several functions.
It is needed within the circulatory system to help contract and dilate blood vessels and arteries. Calcium is also needed to contract muscles, create nerve transmissions and signalling.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together this recipe.
If you try making it at home, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our citrus and fig energy balls recipe. You could also add in some dark chocolate chips, lemon zest or nuts!
Citrus and fig energy balls ingredients to make eight servings
- 10 dried figs
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of fresh orange juice
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Roll mixture into small snack-sized balls, you should create 8-10 balls.
- Optional: roll the prepared balls in sesame seeds.
- Store in the fridge.
- Calories (kcal): 60
- Carbs (g): 20
- Protein (g): 2
- Fat(g): 3
Check out more recipes here.