Recipe: Egg-Topped Avocado ToastJune 6, 2020
The immune system protects the body against disease and fights off infection. Specialised blood cells are the immune systems greatest weapon!
A strong immune system is key for consistent and beneficial training. While we are being told to stay at home, it’s important you keep on top of your nutrition as it will help to keep your immune system strong. A poor immune system can increase the risk of injury and reduce performance.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together some healthy recipes that you can try making at home!
If you do try any of these recipes, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our recipe for Egg-Topped Avocado Toast.
Egg-Topped Avocado Toast ingredients to make two servings
- 2 slices multigrain bread, toasted
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ½ medium avocado, peeled and thinly slices
- 4 thin slices tomato
- 2 thin slices red onion
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Spread each slice of toast with butter and place on a plate.
- Top with avocado; mash gently with a fork.
- Top with tomato and onion.
- To poach each egg, place 125ml water in a microwave-safe glass measuring jug; break an egg into the water and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Microwave in 10 second intervals until egg white is set and yolk begins to thicken. Using a slotted spoon, place egg over toast. Repeat with other egg
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and top with cheddar and bacon.
- Calories (kcal): 313
- Carbs (g): 18
- Protein (g): 15
- Fat(g): 21
This recipe is high in vitamin D.
Check out more recipes here.