Recipe: Kale and quinoa pattiesMay 1, 2022
This recipe is high in calcium, and this plays a vital role within our bodies for several functions.
It is needed within the circulatory system to help contract and dilate blood vessels and arteries. Calcium is also needed to contract muscles, create nerve transmissions and signalling.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together this recipe.
If you try making it at home, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our kale and quinoa patties recipe.
Kale and quinoa patties ingredients to make four servings
- 140g of quinoa
- 500g of hot vegetable stock
- 100g of kale, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 75g of fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g of sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g of goat’s cheese
For the pesto:
- 1/2 small pack of basil leaves only
- 1/2 small pack of parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g of pine nuts, toasted
- 50g of parmesan, grated
- 150g of olive oil
- Juice one lemon
- Put the quinoa in a saucepan and pour over the hot stock. Simmer for 18-20 minutes over a gentle heat until the grains have fluffed up and the liquid has disappeared. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the kale and simmer for 6-8 minutes until cooked. Drain and squeeze out any excess water and set aside.
- Put one tablespoon of olive oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more. Tip the cooked quinoa into a bowl and add the kale, onion and garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and sundried tomatoes. Season well and mix to combine. Set aside.
- To make the pesto, put the basil parsley, garlic, pine nuts and parmesan in a small food processor. Pulse, slowly pouring oil until you have a thick pesto. Squeeze in the lemon juice to loosen, then set aside.
- Gently heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a shallow frying pan. Using your hands, form the quinoa mixture into eight round patties. Add to the frying pan and fry for 4-5 minutes each side until crisp and golden.
- Heat the grill to high and put a slice of goat’s cheese on top of each patty. Place under the grill to brown and melt the cheese slightly – this will take a matter of seconds. Top each patty with a generous spoonful of pesto and serve.
- Calories (kcal): 570
- Carbs (g): 43
- Protein (g): 21
- Fat(g): 33
Check out more recipes here.