Recipe: Power PorridgeDecember 17, 2021
This recipe is great for a pre-exercise meal and will help fuel your workout.
You should aim to eat between one to four grams of carbohydrates per kilogram in bodyweight for pre-workout and one gram per kilogram of bodyweight for post-workout.
For protein, you should aim to eat between 0.25-0.3 grams per kilogram in bodyweight before exercising and for optimal protein synthesis after exercise, try to consume 20g. More than 40g will not provide and additional benefits.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together this recipe.
If you try making it at home, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our power porridge recipe.
Power porridge ingredients to make one serving
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup of almond milk or alternative
- 1 tablespoon of mixed seeds
- 2 tablespoons of fruit or dried fruit. Frozen is also fine.
- Choice of honey and/or cinnamon to taste
- Mix oats and fluid (water or milk) together in a microwave safe bowl. Choose a large enough bowl to allow for expansion.
- Cook on medium for three to four minutes in the microwave. Check half way to ensure it does not boil over.
- Top with seeds, nuts and fruits.
- Add honey and/or cinnamon to taste.
- Calories (kcal): 363
- Carbs (g): 42
- Protein (g): 15
- Fat(g): 10
Check out more recipes here.