Recipe: Sweet Potato and Black Bean ChilliJune 15, 2020
The immune system protects the body against disease and fights off infection. Specialised blood cells are the immune systems greatest weapon!
A strong immune system is key for consistent and beneficial training. While we are being told to stay at home, it’s important you keep on top of your nutrition as it will help to keep your immune system strong. A poor immune system can increase the risk of injury and reduce performance.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together some healthy recipes that you can try making at home!
If you do try any of these recipes, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our recipe for Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli ingredients to make four servings
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 625ml water
- 400g black beans, rinsed
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, chipotle and salt and cook for 30 seconds whilst stirring.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until sweet potato is tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and lime juice and increase the heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Removed from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Calories (kcal): 323
- Carbs (g): 55
- Protein (g): 13
- Fat(g): 8
Check out more recipes here.