Recipe: Vegetable SoupSeptember 4, 2022
Fancy trying something new this Sunday afternoon? Why not have a go at making this tasty Vegetable Soup.
Lecturer in Sports Nutrition at Manchester Metropolitan University, Ozcan Esen, and Sport and Exercise Nutrition BSc(Hons) students have helped put together this recipe.
If you try making it at home, post your image on social media with the hashtag #WPNutrition.
See below for our recipe for Vegetable Soup.
Vegetable Soup ingredients to make six servings
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 50g green beans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed and minced
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Warm 3 tablespoons of oil in a soup pot over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, sweet potato, zucchini, green beans and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Stir often until the onion has softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add the broth, water, remaining salt, bay leaves and red pepper flakes.
- Season generously with black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and partially cover to gently simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the chopped kale and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and take out the bay leaves. Stir in the lemon juice and remaining oil.
- Calories (kcal): 179
- Carbs (g): 23
- Protein (g): 3
- Fat(g): 10