Vice ChairpersonApril 1, 2019
The vice chairperson works closely with the club chair supporting them to undertake the leadership and governance responsibilities of the club. Generally speaking, the vice chairperson will look to step into the role of club chairperson when the chairperson is unavailable.
Who we are looking for?
- You will have a passion for sport with a good knowledge of sports clubs, aquatics or leading an organisation.
- You will demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills.
- You will be approachable, diplomatic and supportive.
What do we and the club expect from a vice chairman?
- To support the chair in the provision of direction and leadership to the club, dealing with issues as and when they arise.
- To assist the chairperson in the planning and delivery of club and committee meetings.
- To support the chair in overseeing decisions made by the management, sub committees, officers and other club personnel.
- To prepare and present the annual report in conjunction with the club chairperson and secretary (if necessary).
- To help ensure the correct and smooth running of all aspects of the club in accordance with its rules, constitution and by-laws and also Swim England law and UK law.
Level of commitment required
This will vary from club to club, but will include attendance at club meetings and could include attendance (either with or on behalf of the club chair) at meetings with the Local Authority, pool operators, Swim England and County Sports Partnership staff.
There may be other time commitments in addition to this in order to fulfil the above criteria.
What support can you expect from Swim England?
- Access to resources and guidance via the ‘Club Hub’.
What will you gain from the experience?
This is a developmental and supportive role which success and impact on the club will be determined by your own ambitions and enthusiasms.
As well as your ability to support the chair in providing leadership and direction to the club, it is an opportunity to take on a new challenge, and develop the key skills and experience required to take on the role of club chair in the future.