5 steps to becoming a para-swimmerMarch 29, 2016 Get Started
Do you want to know more about getting into competitive para-swimming? Or maybe you have your heart set on becoming a para-swimmer in England?
Read on to find out how you can achieve your dream.
Becoming a para-swimmer
There are five key steps on the pathway to becoming a para-swimmer. Many of England’s top Paralympic swimmers will have taken these steps on their journey to the top of the sport.
- Get In Touch – not sure what level of para-swimmer you are or even if you qualify as a para-swimmer?! Let us help you! Whether you’re a recreational swimmer, a newcomer to the sport or already at a club, fill in our ID Tracker form and we’ll give you specific advice for moving forward.
- Sign Up For An Assessment – sign up for an assessment at your local Disability Swimming Hub Club. Here one of our qualified disability swimming coaches will look at your basic swim skills then give you the best advice for taking your swimming to the next level – click here to find contact details for your local Hub Club.
- Find A Club – club coaches will give you specific advice and coaching to improve your swimming. There are also huge benefits to training with like-minded swimmers and being part of a team! Swimmers with disabilities are encouraged to join nearly all mainstream clubs – click here to find your nearest club.
- Get Classified – to swim in any competitions in England as a para-swimmer, you’ll need to be a classified swimmer. Your times will be compared to other swimmers in your class – click here to find out how to become classified.
- Set Your Goals High – your long-term goal should be to compete at the Paralympic Games. Download the qualification times, put them on your wall and use them as motivation each time you look at them. Then get plenty of competitive experience as your build up to this standard – click here to find out more about para-swimming competitions.
If you have questions about para-swimming in England, let us know by getting in touch on email@example.com.