Water Safety Tips
Tips and a video to ensure you stay safe in the water, whether a pool, lake or the sea.
Water safety is not just about ensuring children are safe in the water. Everyone needs to follow some basic advice for ensuring swimming is fun and not life-threatening.
- If you are a parent seeking advice about child water safety click here.
General safety tips for adults
- Never swim alone
- Do not swim at all if you have been drinking or if you have taken medication that alters your medical status
- Check the water temperature before swimming. Cold water can tax the body and make it difficult to swim well
- If you have a swimming pool ensure there is a fence around it. It is not always about protecting yourself
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). You never know when you may need to use it.
- Exercise to build up your muscles and endurance in the water. British Gas Swimfit can help you with this.
- Before swimming consult your doctor to find out how much exercise you should do and if water exercise is appropriate.
Rather than us give you the lowdown on beach safety, here's Ross from the Royal National Lifeguard Institute (RNLI) with his top tips for staying safe by the beach.
Check out the RNLI website for more great advice on keeping safe in the water.