Swimmer development with England Talent SwimmingMarch 28, 2016 Development
The highest level of support you can receive as an English swimmer is with England Talent Swimming.
The England Talent Swimming team are charged with two main goals:
- Identifying the most talented young open water and pool swimmers in England
- Developing them into world and Olympic medallists.
If you like the idea of becoming a world and Olympic swimming medallist, travelling the world as an elite sportsperson and being a role model for thousands of young people in England, read on to find out how to get involved.
Four stages of swimmer development in England
England Talent Swimming involves four stages of swimmer development for athletes aged from 11 to 19.
The four stages are designed to help you reach your maximum potential as a swimmer and eventually step up onto British Swimming’s World Class Pathway, where you could become a funded athlete. That’s right – paid to get up at 4:30 in the morning five days a week!
The four stages are:
- Development Camps – generally for swimmers aged between 11 and 15, these camps involve a mixture of swimming coaching and education and take place in September or October.
- Stroke Camps – for swimmers aged between 12 and 16, these three-day camps take place in December and focus on stroke-specific skills as well as lifestyle education and fitness testing.
- International Competition – make an impression on the camps and you may be asked to race for England at an international competition in the spring or summer months.
- England Squad – the England squad is the final stepping stone towards the British Swimming World Class Programme for those who haven’t already been selected. The squad swim at an end-of-season competition and are aimed towards qualifying for a major international event.
View the latest details and swimmer selection policies for the England Talent Swimming phases in the library below.
England Talent Swimmer Development
If you have a question about England Talent Swimming, please contact the team at email@example.com.
England Talent Swimming also focuses on improving the level of coaching across the network of swimming clubs in England.
While coaches may be invited to observe or participate in the swimming phases, the England Talent team run a series of conferences and training events throughout the year to support coaching development.
You can sign up to the latest English swimming coach development workshops or view clips from previous workshops on the Swim England website.
- Click here to head to the England Talent page on the Swim England website.