Cooper takes gold in 400m freestyleAugust 5, 2017
Basildon Phoenix swimmer James Cooper added gold to his medal haul after winning the men’s 400m Freestyle on the penultimate night of the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
Cooper, who already claimed bronze in the 200m Free and silver in the 50m Free, touched in 4:14.96. This was four seconds under his time set in the heats.
Cooper said: “I’m quite excited. It was alright getting bronze and silver, I thought my swim was good and that’s it really. I smashed my PB so that felt good, but I need to go training more to be honest.”
Second place went to Dulwich Dolphins swimmer, Willem Koster. Koster took gold in the 100m Backstroke earlier in the day. This didn’t slow him down though as he touched in a four second personal best of 4:15.81 to take silver.
Bronze went to Nova Centurion’s Ryan Wilcox in 4:16.13.
Allen wins women’s 100m freestyle
Mollie Allen swam a great race to claim gold in the women’s 17yrs+ 100m Freestyle. The City of Peterborough swimmer finished just ahead of Newcastle’s Jane Brown, taking gold in 57.80.
Brown, who took gold in yesterday’s 200m IM, added a fifth medal to her tally. She took silver just 0.15 seconds behind, with a time of 57.95. Bronze went to Atlantis swimmer Beth Britton in 58.49.
- Click hereto see full results from the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
Other 400m Freestyle gold medallists:
- Lewis Maxwell (Derwentside) 14yrs – 4:19.04
- Jack Buswell (Northampton) 16yrs – 4:12.12
- William Martin (Maxwell) 17yrs – 4:05.04
- Matthew Wright (Bath Uni) 18yrs/Over – 4:05.12
Other 100m Freestyle gold medallists:
- Milly Boulding (Borough of Kirklees) 12/13yrs – 59.46
- Elena Dewhurst (Anaconda) 14yrs – 59.05
- Annie Pearson (Nova Centurion) 15yrs – 59.24
- Maia Dunleavy (Chelsea and Westminster) 16yrs – 59.26