British team will return from European Junior Championships as ‘better swimmers’June 11, 2021
A 24-strong squad of British youngsters selected to take part in the European Junior Championships will return from Italy as ‘better swimmers’.
Four of them are taking part in their second major event of the season after being part of the British team that put in a record-breaking performance at the recent European Aquatics Championships in Budapest.
The European Junior Championships is taking place at the iconic Stadio del Nuoto outdoor pool in Rome from Tuesday 6 to Sunday 11 July.
All the British youngsters will be aiming to put in season best swims, compete for medals and gain valuable race and arena experience as they build for the future.
Among those who were part of the senior setup in Budapest in May and will board the plane to Italy are Tamryn Van Selm (Millfield School) and Evelyn Davis (Bromley), who both secured gold medals as part of relay successes last month
Great learning experience
Northampton’s Ed Mildred is also doubling up on European appearances for the year following some promising performances in Budapest, while Katie Shanahan (City of Glasgow) reached the Women’s 200m Backstroke final, where she smashed her personal best.
The full team has been named following the close of the selection window and the final domestic racing opportunity at the British Swimming Glasgow Meet, which provided the biggest return to racing opportunity yet for juniors since the first UK lockdown.
Team Leader Alan Lynn said: “As the world comes to terms with the ongoing recovery from the pandemic, we are very grateful for the opportunity to compete in Rome.
“High-quality racing, outdoors, in one of the most iconic pools in our sport will be a great learning experience for our young team.
“My expectations are that the swimmers will race hard, soak up the competitive challenge and emerge from the Eternal City as better swimmers than when they arrived.”
British Swimming team for the 2021 European Junior Championships, Rome (6-11 July):
- Angus Allison, Warrender Baths Club
- Henry Baker, Hamilton Aquatics, Dubai
- Freya Colbert, Nova Centurion
- Evelyn Davis, Bromley SC
- Joseph Deighan, Millfield School
- Ella Dyson, Wycombe District SC
- Will Ellington, Millfield School
- Harvey Freeman, Northampton SC
- Sophie Freeman, Plymouth Leander
- Mark Ford, City of Glasgow SC
- Isabelle Goodwin, City of Leeds SC
- Sam Greenbank, Cockermouth
- Lucy Grieve, South Ayrshire ASC
- Evan Jones, Millfield School
- Erin Little, Mount Kelly
- Edward Mildred, Northampton SC
- Eva Okaro, Sevenoaks SC
- Sienna Robinson, City of Sheffield SC
- Harriet Rogers, City of Newcastle SC
- Rachel Saunders, Warrender Baths Club
- Leah Schlosshan, City of Leeds SC
- George Smith, Ellesmere College
- Tamryn Van Selm, Millfield School