British Swimming team selected for first-ever European U23 ChampionshipsApril 25, 2023
British Swimming have selected eighteen athletes to represent Great Britain at the inaugural LEN European Under-23 (U23) Swimming Championships later this year.
The squad contains a host of senior European and Commonwealth medallists as well as a number of European Junior champions who will compete at the Sport Ireland National Aquatic Centre in Dublin, Republic of Ireland from 11-13 August.
Ten English swimmers are part of the team which includes Leah Schlosshan – who claimed the Women’s 200m Individual Medley title at last year’s European Junior Championships – and multiple European Junior medallist Eva Okaro.
Ed Mildred – who stood on a senior European Championship podium in Rome in 2022 – also features in the squad as well as Greg Butler who will head to the competition on the back of making his senior World Championships debut in Fukuoka, Japan.
LEN’s new competition format – open primarily to people born 2000 – 2004 – has been set up to provide young athletes with valuable international race experience and it is an opportunity that swimmers such as Lilly Booker and Charlie Hutchison will look to grasp after some strong showings at the recent British Swimming Championships.
“The opportunity to progress”
Reflecting on the European U23s team and looking ahead to a brand new competition in Dublin, British Swimming Head of Performance Development Alan Lynn says the competition is one which every member of the squad thrive in.
He said: “It is an exciting prospect to have put together a team that will compete at a completely new event – and one that will offer racing against world-class competitors in a big arena environment.
“The 18 athletes on this team have a blend of senior and junior experience, with some preparing for their first time in a GB cap and others heading to the meet off the back of the senior World Championships in Fukuoka.
“We know that each and every one of them can thrive in this big-meet environment and can also use the opportunity to progress their performances on the international stage, whether that is with the Olympic year of 2024 in mind or future international competitions beyond that.”
British Swimming team for the 2023 European Under-23 Swimming Championships, Dublin (11th-13th August)
- Jonathon Adam, Bath Performance Centre
- Elizabeth Booker, Loughborough Performance Centre
- Charlie Brown, Loughborough Performance Centre
- Greg Butler, Loughborough Performance Centre
- Alexander Cohoon, Loughborough University
- Gillian Kay Davey, Loughborough University
- Evelyn Davis, University of Stirling
- Lewis Fraser, Swim Wales High Performance Centre
- Archie Goodburn, Edinburgh University
- Lucy Grieve, University of Stirling
- Charlie Hutchison, Loughborough Performance Centre
- Evan Jones, University of Stirling
- Fleur Lewis, Loughborough University
- Keanna MacInnes, University of Stirling
- Jack McMillan, University of Stirling
- Ed Mildred, Bath Performance Centre
- Eva Okaro, Sevenoaks
- Leah Schlosshan, City of Leeds