Savage makes it two with 50m Back goldAugust 4, 2017
Northampton’s Danny Savage claimed his second gold in as many races, as he won the men’s 50m Backstroke on day three of the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
The triple gold medallist from the British Summer Champs, and champion in the 50m Free yesterday, touched in 27.27 for the 17yrs title. He was slightly slower than his PB set in this morning’s heats (27.05).
Savage: “I was quite happy with the time, although my heat swim was better. I still have lots to work on. Missing the British Championships in this event was disappointing but I had confidence coming in from some good times in my training.
“Winning here also gives me confidence for my 100m Backstroke later this week. I just need to hold the speed for the back end of the race.”
Silver went to Callum Richards of AST Burnham for his 27.43 effort. Sam Phippen of Wycombe District was denied his second silver, claiming bronze with 27.49. Phippen was second to Savage in the 50m Free.
Ford swims PB in women’s 50m back
City of Oxford swimmer Emily Ford swam a personal best time in the women’s 15yrs Backstroke final to claim the title. She was almost three tenths of a second faster than her previous time, touching in 30.81 for gold.
Ford said: “It feels really good to be national champion. I have gained some real confidence today following the medal. Although last week (British Championships) didn’t go as well as planned, I learnt a lot from the experience which helped a lot for today.
“Retaining the title is great as well. The hard work has really paid off and a great way to finish my meet”
Second place went to Lydia Smith of Gainsborough for her 30.95 swim, and Ciara Usher of Rushden took bronze (31.09).
- Click here to see full results from the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
Other gold medallists in the 50m Backstroke:
- Jude Costley (Hackney) men’s 13/14yrs – 29.31
- Jack Bowyer (West Suffolk) men’s 15yrs – 28.41
- Alex Watkinson (Warrington Warriors) men’s 16yrs – 28.09
- Nathan Wells (Loughborough Uni) Men’s 18yrs/Over – 27.15
- Leah Whittaker (Ealing) women’s 12/13yrs – 30.67
- Delphine Little (City of Oxford) women’s 14yrs – 31.06
- Robyn Moon (Thanet Swim) women’s 16yrs – 30.93
- Emily Cutler (Mount Kelly) women’s 17yrs/Over – 30.05