Team England announces new scholarship for Birmingham 2022March 26, 2019
Young swimmers can now apply for £50,000 worth of funding that will help five athletes to achieve their dreams of representing Team England at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Through the newly founded Sir John Hanson Young Talent Scholarship, swimmers could receive financial support ahead of the Games in Birmingham.
The scholarship has been designed to support the next generation of English talent as they embark on a challenging journey, assisting them in fulfilling their potential on the international stage.
Five young athletes from any sport – such as swimming and diving – will be selected and the £50,000 fund will be split into £10,000 per athlete, which will then be distributed over the next three years.
Paul Blanchard, Commonwealth Games England chief executive, said: “We are so grateful to the Hanson family, who are good friends of Commonwealth Games England, for the opportunity to provide five athletes with this scholarship.
“We hope that this funding will help to support those young athletes in their journey to hopefully lead to a successful performance at a home Games.”
The money can be used in the best way deemed possible by the athlete. However, it is expected to contribute towards aspects such as travel to training camps and competitions, coaching and training support services, kit and equipment.
To apply, athletes must fill out an application form and explain how the scholarship could support them to achieve their goals. Applications via video format are also accepted.
Applications will close at 11:59pm on Sunday 28 April and the five successful athletes will be announced when it is around three years to the date of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
In order to be eligible to apply for the grant, athletes must meet the following criteria:
- Nineteen years old or younger at the time of application deadline.
- Twenty two years old or younger for a para-athletes at the time of application deadline.
- Represented England or Great Britain at Junior/international level in their current sport/a Commonwealth Games sport.
- Part of a current performance pathway and recognised by their National Governing Body.
- Received a supporting statement from their National Governing Body.
- Not in receipt of a UK Sport Athlete Performance Award (APA).
For more information visit www.teamengland.org/scholarship