Wells makes it four with 100m Back titleAugust 5, 2017
Nathan Wells secured his fourth gold medal of the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017 after a terrific swim in the men’s 18yrs+ 100m Backstroke final.
Wells, who swims for Loughborough University, turned only just ahead of the competition and seemed to be losing pace. But in an explosive sprint to the finish, the 19-year-old clocked a one second personal best time to claim the gold. He touched in 57.32 for the title.
Wells commented: “I’m not sure if I have words to describe what just happened. I loved it out there, definitely very good.
“It’s been a great couple of weeks and I’m over the moon to finish on four gold medals. That’s me finished now, so I’m going to have a well-deserved rest.”
Second place went to Ciaran Beard-Jones of Stockport Metro. He also ducked under his personal best, claiming silver in a time of 57.54. Wells’ Loughborough team mate James Oxborrow, who claimed gold in the 100m Free, touched in 58.30 for bronze.
Maestri scoops gold from outside lane
Alysia Maestri showed great determination and composure, as she fought back from second place to take gold in the women’s 15 Yrs 100m Back.
The Bristol Henleaze swimmer turned behind Gainsborough’s Lydia Smith at the 50m. However, in a fantastic final 15m, she overtook Smith to clinch gold by just four hundredths of a second. She touched in a new personal best time of 1:06.35.
Second place went to Smith for her 1:06.39 effort. Hastings’ Ellie Foster, who was fastest qualifier coming into the race, claimed bronze in a time of 1:06.42.
- Click here to see full results from the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
Other 100m Backstroke gold medallists:
- Matthew Broughton (Lincoln Pentaqua) men’s 13/14yrs – 1:02.37
- Willem Koster (Dulwich Dolphins) men’s 15yrs – 1:01.42
- Daniel Chada (Bishop Stortford) men’s 16yrs – 59.12
- Ben Harrison (Mount Kelly) men’s 17yrs – 58.57
- Freya Colbert (Grantham) women’s 12/13yrs – 1:06.18
- Mimi Morley Iszatt (City of Oxford) women’s 14yrs – 1:05.83
- Holly Hudghton (Taunton Deane) women’s 16yrs – 1:06.19
- Emily Cutler (Mount Kelly) women’s 17yrs/Over – 1:04.07