Amy West clinches gold in last gasp finishAugust 4, 2017
Amy West of Stockport Metro SC took gold in the women’s 12/13yrs 400m freestyle, shaving six seconds from her personal best time.
The 200m Breaststroke champion from 2016 was just six hundredths of a second ahead of City of Leicester’s Chloe Baxter. She just pipped Baxter to the wall, taking the title with a time of 4:29.34.
West said: “I feel happy to have swum well and got on the podium. Over the last few weeks I’ve been coming fifth and sixth so it’s really nice to win. The PB was a surprise and I didn’t expect to go that fast.
“Sprinting isn’t my strength so I think the pacing and going out a bit faster was what worked for me today. I actually thought Chloe (Baxter) was in front of me down the last 15m. I just put my head down so I was really surprised to see that I’d won when I looked up at the scoreboard.”
Baxter, who took gold in the 200m Free and silver in the 50m Free, added a third medal to her tally. She touched in 4:29.40. Bronze went to Adelaida Gradillas of Barnes SC for her 4:33.39 effort.
Lewis-Gale makes it a double in men’s 100m free
Fynn Lewis-Gale added a second freestyle gold medal to his medal haul. He took the 16yrs 100m Freestyle title with a time of 54.26. This was a new personal best time for the City of Hereford swimmer. Gale also secured gold in the 50m Freestyle on day two.
He commented: “It feels really good to be national champion. The hard work in training has really paid off. I was feeling quite tired after the heat swim but managed to pull a PB out of the bag which is great.
“I knew that I had the speed from the 50m Freestyle earlier in the week so I am really pleased to do the double.”
Second place went to Thomas Shepherd of Leatherhead in a time of 54.31, and bronze to Ben Turland of Pioneer 79 for his 54.39 effort.
- Click here to see full results from the Swim England National Summer Meet 2017.
Other 400m Free gold medallists:
- Charlotte Wynne-Jones (Milton Keynes) 14yrs – 4:28.94
- Jessica McDonough (Wrekin College) 15yrs – 4:28.82
- Lily Booker (City of Bristol) 16yrs – 4:27.30
- Abigail Burr (Lincoln Vulcans) 17yrs/Over – 4:23.33
Other 100m Free gold medallists:
- Stanislas Chausson (Millfield) 13/14yrs – 55.59
- George Robert-Shaw (Dorking) 15yrs – 54.35
- Harley Beentjes (Wigan BEST) 17yrs – 52.41
- James Oxborrow (Loughborough Uni) 18yrs+/Over – 51.37