Commonwealth gold medallist Sarah Vasey selected for World University Games squadApril 29, 2019
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Sarah Vasey is among a strong squad of 14 swimmers that will represent Great Britain’s students at this summer’s 2019 World University Games.
Loughborough University’s Vasey is joined by Abbie Wood, David Cumberlidge, Chloe Golding and Jocelyn Ulyett, who also represented Team England at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on Australia’s Gold Coast.
Vasey won the 50m Breaststroke at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and has also represented Great Britain at the 2017 World Championships in Budapest and the European Championships in Glasgow last year.
In total, 11 swimmers who represented their home nations at the 2018 Commonwealth Games have been included in the squad for the 30th edition of the Summer Universade in Naples, Italy, between 3-14 July.
Team leader Adam Clarke said the squad heading for Italy was packed with experience.
He added: “The World University Games is the second largest multi-sport event after the Olympics, and a great opportunity for British swimmers to compete on the world stage.
“The team we have nominated to represent British University and College Sport is packed with a wealth of experience, with 11 of the team in action for their home nations at last year’s Commonwealth Games, and four athletes making their second Summer Universiade appearance.
Exciting programme of swimming
“We also have two athletes, Emily Barclay and Alicia Wilson, making their debuts at this level and the Games will provide a great opportunity for them to accelerate their development and continue their journey towards future senior success on the world stage.
“It is always a great experience to work with the BUCS team and I’m very much looking forward to an exciting programme of swimming in Naples in July.”
Ross Simpson, BUCS Deputy Chef de Mission, added: “It is fantastic to see such a high calibre of athlete selected by British Swimming for the World University Games this summer in Naples.
“GB students will have a delegation of around 135 athletes and staff and I am sure Adam and his squad will provide a lot of experience to the overall success of the team.
“I hope the swimming venue, Piscina Scandone, will be the scene of plenty great results, PB’s and a brilliant experience for those involved.
“Well done to all of those selected. As always it highlights the strength of swimming within universities.”
Also included in the squad are two-time Olympian Craig Benson and European Championship 4x100m Medley Relay gold medallist Charlotte Atkinson.
GB Squad selected for the 2019 World University Games
- Charlotte Atkinson, Isle of Man, Loughborough University
- Emily Barclay, England, Loughborough University
- Craig Benson, Scotland, University of Stirling
- David Cumberlidge, England, Edinburgh University
- Chloe Golding, England, Manchester Metropolitan
- Kathryn Greenslade, Wales, Edinburgh University
- Joe Litchfield, England, Sheffield Hallam
- Katie Matts, England, Manchester Metropolitan
- Craig McLean, Scotland, University of Stirling
- Mark Szaranek, Scotland, University of Florida
- Jocelyn Ulyett, England, Loughborough University
- Sarah Vasey, England, Loughborough University
- Alicia Wilson, England, University of California, Berkley
- Abbie Wood, England, Loughborough University
* As a British Universities and College Sport representative team, selections are subject to confirmation of academic eligibility.