Adam Peaty heads up 2017 World Championships squadApril 26, 2017 Swimming News
City of Derby swimmer Adam Peaty heads up a 29-strong British Swimming team who have been selected for the FINA World Championships in Budapest.
The 2016 Olympic champion, who trains at Loughborough University, was just 0.06 seconds shy of his world record in the 50m Breaststroke at the British Swimming Championships last week. He made the qualification times in both the 50m and 100m Breaststroke and will defend his world titles in both events.
James Guy was the most successful English swimmer at the British Championships. He scooped four gold medals over the six-day event. As well as his signature 200m and 400m Freestyle titles, the Millfield swimmer also claimed crowns in the 100m Butterfly and 200m Butterfly events.
Olympic finalist Max Litchfield is also on top form and will head out with the rest of the team. The City of Sheffield swimmer took two gold medals at the British Champs, including a new British record in the 400m IM.
Two other English Olympic medallists made their way onto the team: Siobhan-Marie O’Connor and Chris Walker-Hebborn.
A good balance between juniors and seniors
The more experienced swimmers will be joined by a cohort of emerging swimmers. Some of them will be making their international debuts. This includes Loughborough-based swimmers Abbie Wood, Sarah Vasey and Luke Greenbank.
British Swimming head coach Bill Furniss commented on the selections: “I think it was a typical first selection competition following an Olympic Games. Some of our athletes that were successful in Rio and had an extended break afterwards did well, yet others did not fire on all cylinders. This is to be expected.
“However, we’ve got all of our top swimmers there along with an exciting group of juniors that came through and showed themselves and their potential to achieve within the international arena. It’s a good balance between youth and senior, and will create a positive and productive dynamic within the squad.
“The high number of records achieved last week didn’t surprise me. If we are to compete on the world stage you have to show continual improvement. That is what we saw at the Championships.”
The English contingent for the world championships
The athletes below gained selection after they won their event and achieved the qualification standard at the British Championships 2017.
- Adam Peaty (National Centre Loughborough)
- Jocelyn Ulyett (Loughborough University)
- Max Litchfield (City of Sheffield)
- Ben Proud (Plymouth Leander)
The athletes below gained selection after they achieved the consideration time at the British Championships 2017.
- Chris Walker-Hebborn (National Centre Bath)
- James Guy (National Centre Bath)
- Nick Grainger (City of Sheffield Swim Squad)
- Molly Renshaw (National Centre Loughborough)
- Sarah Vasey (National Centre Loughborough)
- Freya Anderson (Ellesmere College Titans)
- James Wilby (National Centre Loughborough)
- Aimee Willmott (London Aquatics Centre PP)
- Holly Hibbott (Stockport Metro)
- Siobhan-Marie O’Connor (National Centre Bath)
The athletes below gained selection at the discretion of the GB Head Coach and National Performance Director.
- Abbie Wood (National Centre Loughborough)
- Rosie Rudin (City of Sheffield Swim Squad)
- Luke Greenbank (National Centre Loughborough)
Click here to view the World Championships selection policy for more information about the selection criteria mentioned above.