Key swimming findings and statistics13 June 2018 What We Do
The following is an overview of key swimming statistics in England. For more detailed information about an area, please click on the relevant links.
Swimming participation in England:
- 47 per cent of the population go swimming, approximately 22.4 million people.
- 7 million people swim weekly.
- 13.2 million people swim monthly.
- 88 per cent of those who currently go swimming are satisfied or very satisfied with the swimming experience.
- 71 per cent of the population have a positive perception of swimming.
(March 2018, Swim England tracker; statistics based on people aged 11+ years only)
Benefits of swimming:
- Swimming is one of the most effective ways to burn calories: 30 minutes exercising in the water is worth 45 minutes of the same activity on land.
- Regular swimming can lower stress levels, reduce anxiety and depression and improve your sleep patterns.
- Swimming improves heart health, lowers blood pressure, improves lung capacity, increases bone strength and reduces joint pain as it is a low impact sport.
- Regular swimming can help to reduce long-term health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes by up to 40 per cent.
(June 2017, The Health and Wellbeing Benefits of Swimming report)