New workshops for Team Manager 1 Course after 'overwhelming interest'4 July 2020
A popular Swim England course has been completed by hundreds of volunteers who were keen to learn a new skill during the coronavirus lockdown.
Two new online workshops for the free Team Manager 1 Course have now been put on to enable even more people to take the qualification.
Swim England and the regions have delivered a total of 39 Team Manager 1 webinars which have been attended by 486 people.
The Team Manager 1 Course is aimed at those who are starting out on their volunteering journey and focuses on single day competitions or camps where there is no overnight stay.
Claire Coleman, Swim England Head of Volunteering and Pathways, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the interest in the Team Manager 1 Course and it’s brilliant to see so many have completed the qualification and are now in a position to volunteer in this role at their clubs.
“In addition to our newly-trained volunteers, the team manager programme has delivered 17 new presenters who can host the workshop online.
“The response from those who attended the workshops has been fantastic, with 94 per cent of our participants rating it as good or better.
“Much of the praise revolves around the ease at which our members can engage with the courses online making them accessible and easy to attend, with the interactive nature of the course lending itself perfectly for the current state of practical and safe learning measures.”
The next two-and-a-half hour long Team Manager 1 courses – which have a maximum of 16 spaces on each – are due to take place on:
- Wednesday 8 July between 1pm-3.30pm – register your interest by clicking here.
- Thursday 16 July between 1pm-3.30pm – register your interest by clicking here.
Claire added: “Such has been the popularity of these courses that we’re advising people to register their interest as soon as possible if they are keen to attend the next sessions.
“We’re pleased that these workshops have had such an amazing response and we will be making sure there are plenty of other opportunities to take the course in the future.”
The course covers:
- Essential elements of team management from pre to post event duties
- Relaying information in a concise manner and make quick decisions based upon the best interests of individuals and teams
- How Swim England’s safeguarding policy and procedures work in a team management context
- Managing athletes during competitions including promoting positive behaviour at the venue
- How to support coaches, athletes and parents
- And how to identify hazards and risk factors that have the potential to cause harm to athletes – and the risk assessment requirements associated with the role.