Swim Summit 2018
Thank you for joining us at the 2018 Swim Summit.
Hosted by the Swim Group, the Swim Summit is a free, annual national conference dedicated to the provision of swimming. It is aimed at anyone who works within the swimming or leisure sector, or is involved in the delivery of swimming for health or fitness.
The day is a unique opportunity to hear from a range of industry experts. Presentations included a focus on facilities and how to maximise their use, ensuring our young people are safe in the water, and new ideas and innovations to get the nation swimming.
With over 100 key influencers from across the swimming sector in attendance, it was a great opportunity for delegates to share ideas and network.
- Date: Thursday, 27 September 2018
- Venue: Harrow Leisure Centre, Christchurch Ave, Harrow, HA3 5BD
- Time: 9:15am – 4pm
- Cost: free
Swim Summit 2018 agenda
09:15 Registration opens, refreshments and networking
10:00 – State of the swimming nation
Jane Nickerson (Swim Group Chairperson), David Minton (Leisure Database) and Mike Farrar (Swim England Chairperson) discuss the current state of swimming in this country and pose the question: what more should we be doing?
10:35 – Keeping the nation swimming: Two years on, has swimming and water safety in primary schools improved?
Steve Parry (Swim Group and Total Swimming) and Sue Wilkinson (afPE) discuss the progress made to support primary schools to deliver high quality swimming and water safety lessons. They will also challenge the sector to pledge to support a new curriculum swimming and water safety campaign.
11:20 Refreshments and networking
11:50 – Keeping the facilities open in challenging economic times
David McHendry (KKP) talks about the challenges affecting facilities and how to make the most of your budget.
13:00 Lunch and networking
14:00 – Keeping swimming relevant: innovation, innovation, innovation
We hear from a range of sector leaders about their innovative approaches to keeping swimming relevant. These include:
- Keith Ashton, director of Space and Place, about new approaches to facility designs.
- Diccon Loy and how he developed the successful Marathon Swims challenge.
- Alessandro Fochi from Myrtha Pools, and Kelvin Juba (HNI International) talk about new pool designs.
- Marie Leather from Salford Community Leisure about their experience of taking part in the Sport England Swim Local pilots.
- Mike Thompson, Swim England, talks about the innovative cross-sector #LoveSwimming campaign.
15:45 – Closing comments
16:00 – Close of Swim Summit 2018
Travel and transport
The Swim Summit takes place in Byron Hall at Harrow Leisure Centre. On arrival at the centre, follow the Swim Summit 2018 signs around the side of the building and enter via the Byron Hall entrance.
- By car: There is limited parking on site via a pay and display car park (maximum charge of £6.20). The postcode to use is HA3 5BD.
- By train: Harrow and Wealdstone station is a ten minute walk from Harrow Leisure Centre. It has access to Central London via:
- Overground – Southern trains / West Midlands train (16 mins)
- Underground – Bakerloo line (30 mins)
For more information about the day, or if you have any questions, please contact Alison Clowes via email@example.com