New partnership to SH2OUT about safe open water swimming25 January 2017
The Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) and British Triathlon have today launched a new strategy to help drive the development of open water swimming.
Supported by the ASA, the strategy will set standards and grow safe open water swimming.
RLSS UK’s Chief Executive, Di Steer, said: “In recent years, open water swimming has been subject to rapid growth and RLSS UK and British Triathlon recognise the need for improved advice and guidance coupled with dedicated services to support the continued success and safe growth of the sport.
“SH₂OUT will ensure that open water swimming events and venues meet approved standards but will also help increase participation in the sport.”
ASA Interim Chief Executive, Jane Nickerson, said: “We welcome the launch of this new strategy and look forward to working with RLSS UK and British Triathlon to promote safe open water swimming in our beautiful countryside. This will not only benefit the thousands of ASA Members who regularly swim outdoors during the year, but also the young people who learn about safe open water swimming through our annual Swim Safe programme.”
Jack Buckner, Chief Executive of British Triathlon, added: “British Triathlon is really excited to be working with RLSS UK to develop open water swimming. This is a great opportunity to work across the sector to ensure safe access and venues for open water swimming as well as increasing participation opportunities.”
Known as SH2OUT, the joint venture will aim to help promote safety and enjoyment in open water swimming with five key strategies:
- Safe Venues – delivering a publicly recognised quality standard for open water swimming venues
- Quality Event – ensuring open water swimming events are delivered to approved standards
- Vibrant Community – providing a compelling offer to all open water swimming participants
- Inspiring Participation – developing a clear and supportive participation pathway, enabling more people to take part in open water swimming
- Industry Guidance – proving market leading education, support and advice to the triathlon and lifesaving communities
To read the strategy click here.